Finding the right dentist for you and your family can be as difficult as finding a parking space in a crowded shopping mall. This is because there may be dozens and dozens of dentists operating in and around your neighborhood. To make matters worse, they specialize in different fields. So how do you narrow down this wide range into finding the one best for you? Or how to choose a dentist for you?
How to find the right dentist:
The first thing you will need to do is actually look for a dentist which is suited to your needs. The following suggestions may be useful for you:
- The best way to start a search for the best dentist is by asking your friends, family, colleagues, or co-workers for their recommendations. Those who are satisfied with their dentists will be more than happy to share their opinions with you.
- Your family doctor or pharmacist may also be an excellent choice. Not only do they also have to visit dentists, but their wide network would also include dentists. Or they would know people who happen to know good dentists.
- You could try contacting your local or state dental association. They will be able to provide you with a complete listing of all the dentists operating nearby you.
- Lastly, you could always search online.
After carrying out the research, you must have a pretty good list of dentists to work with. Now the next step is to visit each one to further narrow down your search. This can be done first through a new patient consultation and then through an actual appointment. To increase the likelihood of finding the best dentist, you need to ask more questions and probe more into the kind of services they provide.
Questions to ask your dentist:
If you are successful in finding the best dentist for you, you and your dentist will be long-term partners. Therefore, it is crucial that you gather as much information as possible about the dentist. And this can only be done by asking certain questions. The following list may make things a bit easier for you:
- Dentist’s training
Inquire about the dentist’s educational background and years of training he or she has undergone. If required, try to ask for a list of his recent clients. This will help you in determining the success rate of the dentist and how qualified he or she genuinely is.
- Office location
Location plays an important role. This is because you would be looking for a dentist who is situated nearby your home. Besides that, it should be convenient to get there in times of emergency as well.
- Emergency care and office hours
Emergencies do not come with a fair warning. So you should be looking for a dentist who is nearby your home or office. Also look for a dental care which operates on a 24 hour basis. This will make it easy and convenient for you to access him or her at all times.
- Patient comfort
Ask if the office provides amenities to make your treatments more comfortable. This may include sedation dentistry and various other technologies.
- Fees and payment plans
Try to find out if your insurance plan is being covered with that dental service. If not, try determining how much additional costs you may have to incur.